The Software Test Professionals Conference & Expo 2010 was held in sunny Las Vegas – October 19th – 21st at the Mirage Resort and Casino. This conference featured motivational as well as technical keynotes and offered a program full of sessions focused on Test Strategy & Process, Leadership, Agile Testing, Performance Testing and Automation. In addition, this conference featured our very first Software Test Luminary Award winner. We were honored to name Gerald Weinberg as our first recipient of this prestigious award as selected by the Software Testing community.
Conference Program: Tracks, Sessions, Speakers & Presentations:
TRACK: Hands-On Testing Techniques Lab
We are excited to offer a new conference track, Hands-On Testing Techniques Lab, which will combine the best software testing theories with real-world examples and where participants will actually learn by doing in a realistic test environment. This unique opportunity will feature a virtual learning environment that showcases eight technical sessions covering a wide range of hands-on testing topics.
- 101: Let’s Test Together
- 201: Explore Beyond the Obvious
- 301: Hands-On Quicktests
- 401: Testing in the Interview
- 501: Hands-On Introduction to Selenium IDE
- 601: 5 Kick Ass Test Design Techniques from Combinatorial Testing
- 701: Essential Techniques for Testing Flash-Based Rich Internet Applications
- 801: Weapons for Bug Hunting
TRACK: Test Leadership
This track will focus on the human side of testing, managing testers and the software test areas of the product lifecycle. You will learn techniques for working effectively in a leadership role with test and non-test teams, and the differences between being a manager and being a leader.
- 103: Testers! Get Out of the Quality Assurance Business
- 203: People Are Not Widgets!
- 303: Encouraging Collaborative Testing
- 503: Reducing the Cost of Testing (Panel Discussion)
- 603: QA: Last One Invited, First One Kicked Out
- 604: The Secret Skill: How to Sell Testing
- 703: Testing Across Timezones: Working with International Teams
TRACK: Test Strategy & Process
When do you use exploratory testing? How do you plan for performance testing? What are test entrance and exit criteria? In this track you will learn from industry experts and practitioners the strategic and tactical approaches to testing, regardless of the underlying software development methodology. This track includes topics related to test project planning, interaction with other departments (development, product management, and customer support), organization of test labs including virtual test environments, testing methodology, test documentation, performing different test types, test case coverage strategy, defect reporting, quality assessment (quality metrics), release criteria, and beta testing.
- 102: Effective Test Planning: Preparing for Success
- 202: Reloadable Test Data: Why and How
- 302: How Could We Miss Those Bugs? Tips on Improving Test Coverage
- 402: Mission Over Method: What Really Makes Your Testing Valuable
- 502: Metrics: A Path for Success
- 602: Test Faster: Model Your Process to Test Faster
- 702: Integrated Open Source Based Test Management
- 802: The Test Cauldron: Choosing the Right Mix
TRACK: Agile Testing
This track will help attendees utilizing Agile Methodology to understand how they can fit traditional test practices or start implementing off-shoring capabilities while testing in an agile environment. In addition, the attendees will have an opportunity to understand how test automation can be more effectively used in the context of agile projects as well as listen to real-world examples of testing in projects of varying degrees of agile adoption.
- 104: Testing Within the Shades of Agile
- 204: Scaling Offshore Testing for Agile Teams
- 404: Pairing with Developers
- 504: Testing in an Agile Environment
- 804: Acceptance Test Driven Development
TRACK: Performance Testing
Presentations in this track will share actual performance testing experiences that illustrate the skills, tools and techniques for planning and executing effective performance tests. Topics you will learn: developing test objectives, using business and technical metrics to quantify the target load and acceptance criteria, developing scripts, designing test scenarios, measuring and correlating system resources with response time and load, interpreting results, diagnosing bottlenecks, communicating conclusions and recommendations to stakeholders.
- 105: Slimming Down Your Performance Tests
- 304: Architecting Applications for Performance and Scalability
- 403: Ever Been Fooled by Performance Testing Results?
- 505: Performance Testing for MASSIVE Systems
- 704: Using Open Source Testing at Ford
- 803: What You Need to Know About Performance Testing
TRACK: Test Automation
The Test Automation track includes topics related to the test automation architecture, development of test automation frameworks, test automation methodology, functional test automation, security test automation, continuous integration, and popular open source and commercial test automation tool case studies. It will also include semi-automation tools for test case management and requirement management.
- 205: Becoming An Automation Entreprenuer
- 305: From Start to Success with Web Automation
- 405: Testware Hierarchy for Test Automation
- 605: Continuous Change Driven Intelligent Closed Loop Test Automation
- 705: Test Language: Introduction to Key Word Driven Testing
- 805: Script-less Test Automation